Friday, April 20, 2012

An Angel to Watch

Name – Katie Martin
Age – 25
Height – 5’2”
Contest Weight – 119
Regular Weight – 131
Hometown – Bakersfield, California

About 3 ½ months ago I decided to train to do my first show and enter the figure category. As a trainer I wanted to challenge myself to reach a whole new level, so I could learn a different aspect of the “health” industry. Myself along with a fellow trainer started on a journey that changed my life to a level of which I never imagined. I was a dancer for 12 years and the stage was always in the back of mind as a wonderful memory as a child. Competing on stage as an adult and knowing I was possibly being looked at as an inspiration to many of my clients and friends gave me a sense accomplishment. I competed in the NPC Amateur Grand Prix in Culver City. I was nervous but super excited to be on the stage to showcase the hard work that I had put into the show. I placed top three in a National qualifier, and met so many wonderful women. These shows are a great way to meet so many wonderful people to have as lifetime friends that can share your journey and passion for this health industry. I truly want to share my knowledge with as many people that want to listen.

My diet for this competition was different than my daily life as “just a trainer” I can honestly say that my coach Kim Oddo, worked hard to get me to a level of competition. I know it was a hit and miss for this first competition and I learned what needs to be done to up my game for the next one. Kim Oddo, is an amazing coach that knows how his “Angels” need to look. I want to thank him for pushing me to my maximum for this show. I enjoyed my journey with my coach, he definitely knows what he is talking about. Thank you Kimbo, I can’t wait for the next one. My diet consisted of mini meals every 2.5-3 hours, Protein/carbs/veggies/fats. Carbs were taken out more in the last month for my development.

I am very grateful to my husband and parents for standing by my side during this journey. This sport is not for the weak. It takes dedication more than one knows. I have great respect for EVERYONE in this industry. One of the sayings, and I have many that I love is “You’ve got what it takes, but it will take everything you got!” I love the adrenaline rush and the extreme push you need to get to this level. I can honestly say I have the heart to help anyone that would want to do this. I loved it!! I am also thankful that God was there every day giving me the strength and determination to push through those triple day workouts. J I want to thank all my friends (including Laura Bailey who a key part of my prep), coworkers, my fellow trainer, Trisha Nance that was by my side in my journey. You all motivated me more than you know.

In 2012 I want to attempt a National competition. I am going to take a couple months off to travel and do another Tough Mudder, which is a 25 mile British military obstacle course, 12 miles in mountain terrain, that encourages health, fitness and unity. The money goes to our wounded military and families. Along with that I will continue to compete in soccer tournaments for the season. I will not disappear from the Figure Competition; you will see my face pop back in there for a National soon this year!! God Bless"


No comments:

Post a Comment