Monday, December 12, 2011

Shelly Cannon - Florida's Finest!

Name: Shelly Cannon
Age: 32
Height:
5'2"
Contest weight: 108
Regular Weight: 117
Hometown: New Smyrna Beach, FL

I started weight training in high school cheerleading, and since then have never gone long without having some sort of workout routine. I joined Bodysculpting Gym in Ormond Beach about 2 years ago, and the gym owner Mike Matassa approached me about competing. At first I thought he was crazy, but he convinced me I had what it takes.

I eat 15-20 grams of lean protein approximately every 2.5-3 hours, off-season or not. I love vegetables and try to include a serving with every meal. My complex carbs vary depending on what stage I am in competition prep. During off-season, I have about 20 g of complex carbs with each meal except dinner. I always try to avoid sugar, simple carbs, and dairy (my weakness).

I'd like to thank Mike and Bernadette Matassa for convincing me to compete and introducing me to this lifestyle I love so much! My sister and niece have gone above and beyond to support me. I'd like to thank them immensely. To the rest of my family and close friends who help support me through my defeats and celebrate my accomplishments - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I have just decided to join Team Long for the 2012 season and am preparing to switch to the figure division! I plan to compete in June in Chicago at Junior Nationals. I made it to Nationals in the bikini division in 2011, and I hope to do the same in figure in 2012! It's a lot of work, but I love a challenge. I'm looking forward to a fun and rewarding year.


Editor's Notes

Let me start out by thanking Shelly for her lightning fast response and her commitment to keep with her word -- I really appreciate that. I also want to commend her for having an incredible website: http://ShellyCannon.com. I've seen plenty of sites in the fitness industry, but this page really comes together nicely. It has really good dance music, thorough information on Shelly, as well as comprehensive portfolio that would make any talent scout or marketing rep dance for joy. I know plenty of people from the clothing industry check this page out -- so I'm asking that you check Shelly's page out!

Finally, I'd like to give you the link Bodysculpting Gym in Ormond Beach. I Googled them on my own (after reading Shelly's feature) and I was very impressed. This gym seems to be super-charged, with a steady battery of fitness course. Their site is aptly titled http://got-fat.com. If you're in Daytona area, do check them out -- this also goes for all my University of Florida buddies!

As far as Shelly's physique, I'd like to thank Dave Palumbo's site, RxMuscle.com. Once upon a time, people used to go to GetBig.com for contest coverage -- but that was a long, long time ago. I'd say 90% of all the photos and contest updates I rely on, come from RxMuscle. They are without a doubt the very best source of contest coverage on the net. So it was on RxMuscle that I first came across shots of Shelly.

I think it's pretty clear how impressed I am with her physique, so expect to see a great deal more of her on here. She placed in the middle of her class at the 2011 NPC Daytona Classic, but in my book, she should have won the class and potentially won the whole show. But remember, these are physique shows, and Bikini remains a very new division. I'm very eager to see how Shelly does in her transition to Figure. She's a seasoned athlete that's probably well aware of what I'm about to say, but I'll say it to her and everyone reading this as well. Placings really don't matter - if you can get yourself through your prep, take the stage, and be the best athlete you can be, then it doesn't matter how you place. Whether you take 1st or 15th, be a good sport, and enjoy yourself up there!

Shelly Cannon... remember that name. And remember that everyone that's been mentioned on this page -- goes places. I have an eye for champions, and I find champions when they're placing top of their class -- or last. Placings don't matter. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment