Saturday, December 24, 2011

Darielle Gaines - Destined for Greatness

Name: Darielle Rose Gaines
Age: 25
Ht: 5"3
Contest Weight: 110
Regular Weight: 125
Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

I first began working out when I was about 16 years old. I have always been active growing up, being involved with anything from dance to gymnastics to sports. When I began high school, I lost that part of me and began getting into trouble. By the time I was 16, I had experimented with drugs and dropped out of school. It was in my first rehab facility that I discovered the gym. I was shown by a woman 30 years older than me how to workout and instantly I became addicted. When I left that facility, I continued to use drugs and my life was a complete mess. Long story short, I landed myself another stay in a rehab program for 15 months. I put on 60 lbs and left a whole new person, literally and figuratively. Within the week I was out, I remember going straight to the gym. Once again, I became addicted and stuck to this feeling I would get after a workout. I have been clean ever since and the gym and weight training had become my savior in life. I have not slowed down and have continued to push myself even further.

This is what now brings me to my competition life; the desire to push myself to newer and higher goals. Competing, gives me a purpose, direction, and discipline in life. I am able to focus on a goal, and depend only on myself to achieve it and experience the feeling of accomplishment. You know, a lot of people have these preconceived views of girls who compete in bikini, and to be honest, I did not want to be labeled in a category that was not taken seriously. After realizing that I had to work just as hard to reach the bikini look, I realized I did not care what others thought about it, I knew I was working my butt off to get that win!

Now, working as a Personal Trainer, spreading my knowledge to others to change lives whether it's directly or indirectly is the piece that completes the puzzle. There's nothing that makes me happier than receiving emails and phone calls that I have changed someone's life for the better. I began competing in 2010, in 2011 having competed in 3 national-level shows, placing 3rd at Jr. Nationals. For the 2012 season, I plan to continue my quest to become the next IFBB Pro in bikini. I will begin my season in May, and depending on the results, plan accordingly! Currently, my diet consists of clean, whole foods. Protein sources with all 5 meals in the day are usually lean meats or protein powder. I like to keep my healthy fats moderate and my carbs minimal. My body does not react well to many carbs so I will generally eat them in the morning at my first meal, post-workout and sometimes pre-workout depending what I'm training and how I am feeling. I keep my sugar intake to an absolute minimum, but allow myself "cheat" meals a couple times a week. When I am dieting for a show, carbs are usually cut out or cycled. My body reacts much better to a protein and fat diet, leaving carbs for a re-feed day.

I would love to thank my family and friends for their continued support and understanding of the type of lifestyle I lead; the friends I've made in the fitness industry as a daily support and motivation via social networking; my best friend Melissa Isaacs, who has been my rock in this sport since day 1, showing me the ropes and supporting me with everything by checking up on how I'm feeling during my prep to tanning me by brush at my first show! I also want to thank Dave Palumbo and RxMuscle for taking me into the family and allowing me to explore and be apart of the industry. Of course, above all, I want to thank the most amazing man in my life, [other] best friend, and boyfriend Aaron "Jewbacca" Singerman. He will be helping me in 2012 with my show prep and has already shown the utmost love and support for me to reach my goals.


Editor's Notes

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Darielle for being so great to work with. As many of the ladies that appear on here can attest to, I tend to politely keep up with everyone that commits to be featured, but Darielle not only makes good on her promises, she delivered this TRULY tell-all response. Just remember, this page is fan-based - she did all this for the fans - not for money. This speaks volumes about her as a future IFBB Pro and as someone that would be a true asset to any company, anywhere!

I also appreciate the fact that Darielle addressed an issue that many of us hear and read on various online medias, these unsubstantiated and often just plain backward assumptions about bikini. I think she had an awakening of sorts, when she stopped caring about the chitter chatter in the peanut galleries of the web, but I also think it's valid that she took them head on. Like any physique-based sport, she said what she needed to get off her chest, but it was her physique that did most of the talking.

What I also love about Darielle [how many times have I said "Darielle?" Prolly not enough times :)] is that in addition to being ridiculously attractive, she's also ridiculously hardworking, and seemingly committed to the core to going pro. This young lady from Boca (one of the most affluent cities in FL) isn't taking anything for granted, she's doing the interviews, competing, she's already getting her share (though undeservedly) of haters, but she's going to make it, and it's this hunger and determination that makes her destined for greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment