Thursday, June 21, 2012

Samantha Hastings - Southern Bikini Goddess

Name: Samantha Hastings
Age: 25
Ht: 5'4
Contest Wt: 113
Regular Wt: 120
Hometown: Destin, Florida

I have always been a competitor having played most sports my entire life, I was fortunate enough to get a full ride playing college softball. After under grade I went into nursing school which was extremely challegnging and demanded my full attention. After graduating nursing school I found myself 30 lbs heavier than when i began. Knowing that this was not who i was or how i wanted to look i made the commitment, i consulted with a dear friend of mine ( Brenda shropshire) who had been competing in figure and bodybuilding competitions for many years. I basically followed her workout and diet regimen for 2 months, they were two of the most mentally and physically challenging months of my life, but also the most rewarding. Being a college athlete I have never had to watch what I ate or do any extra exercising, so this was all new to me. I now realize that health and fitness is truly a lifestyle and not a crash diet/exercise stint.

Since I have started I have been in 6 competitions over the last 2 1/2 years. I have placed 1st three times, 2nd once, and 4th twice. Thus far in 2012 I have done 2 competitions one of which has qualified me for nationals. I have 2 more slated for this summer one of which is a IFBB pro qualifier. I am very excited about the IFBB pro qualifier (IFBB North American Championships) on August 30th in Pittsburg, PA but very nervous, as this will be the stiffest competiton i will ever face. My goal for this show is to place in the top 10-15 percentile.

First of all I would like to thank my dear friend and mentor Brenda Shropshire who has inspired and motivated me to what i have achieved thus far. She is a great person and thank you very much Brenda. Secondly, I would like to thank my family (Mother (Donna), Father (Kim), and Brother (Tyler)) for having instilled in me a high level of competitive spirit. My parents have always supported me and helped me achieve any goals i have set for myself. Failure has never been an option in my parents eyes, which are the same eyes i see through. They have showered me with love and kindness and a swift kick in the butt when needed. Lastly, I would like to thank my loving fiancee (Greg Picou) who is footing the bill for all of these competitions, ha. He stands by my side, he tries not to drink, and eats the same crappy food that i have to while i am dieting. He puts up with me when i am craving chocolate or a glass of wine and i am less than pleasant to be around. He is the love of my life and I looking forward to our future together.

My diet consists of alternating days when i am training with one cheat meal a week.

High carb day

1. 1/4 cup of oatmeal or grits, 1 serving of fruit, 5 egg whites one egg yolk (scrambled or hard boiled).
2.) 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 cup vegetable, 5oz protein.
3.) 1/4 sweet potato or new red potato, 1 cup spinach or spring mix ( add 1/4 cup fruit, I usually do raspberries or blackberries., 5 oz protein.
4.) 1/4 cup brown rice or sweet potato, 1/2 cup vegetable, 5oz. protein.
5.) 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 cup salad or spring mix, 5oz protein.
6.) Protein shake, 1/2 of avocado, or teaspoon of peanut butter.

Low Carb Day:

1.) 1/4 cup oatmeal or grits, 5 egg whites one egg yolk (scrambled or hard boiled).
2.) 1 cup vegetable, 5 oz protein.
3.) 30 almonds, 1/2 cup fruit.
4.) 1/4 cup brown rice, 1 cup salad or spring mix, 5 oz. protein.
5.) 1/4 cup brown rice, 5 oz. fish
6.) Protein shake, 1/2 cup of avocado, or teaspoon of peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment