Saturday, June 2, 2012

Paola Terry - Peruvian Muscle Goddess

Name: Paola Terry
Age: 25
Ht: 5’4¼”
Wt: Regular & Contest: 126 regular, 120 contest
Hometown: Lima, Peru
Current City : Anchorage, Alaska

What got you started (training and competing)

A couple of years ago, after kickboxing class at the local gym, I was standing in the lobby and I saw a bunch of athletes checking in for an event. A friend of mine mentioned it was for a bodybuilding, fitness, and bikini competition. I had no idea what the competition was all about, but my friend said, “you should do it”. I love trying new things so I jumped in. I won on my first time competing in the bikini division, and then I got hooked learning more about the competitions and training for them. I was competing locally on and off for couple of years until December 2011 when I really committed to training harder. When I committed to this 110%, my competition and fitness passion stepped up to the next level.

What the process has been like.

Training for competitions has been an amazing experience. It has not only taught me how to train for a competition, but also how to have a fit and healthy life. Eating right and working out regularly has become a lifestyle. My passion for fitness has increased and I don’t only love learning about it for myself, I also enjoy sharing my knowledge and experiences to motivate others.

Do you train on your own, with a team, or do you have a trusted spotter/workout partner?

I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and I train with Valentina Chepiga (former Ms Olympia 2000). I also love working out with my best friend Fabiola, we both spot each other and enjoy doing cardio at the end of our intense workouts.

What's your diet like (you can list what you eat or speak as to the topic in general) –

My diet is very balanced. I eat 6 times a day. It is based of 50 % proteins, 30% fats and 20% carbs. My diet is based on my rate of fat loss and the amount of lean mass I have at the moment. I like to mix and match my meals including witch typically consist of chicken, ground turkey, white fish, egg yolks/whites, avocados, salmon fish oil, broccoli, grapefruit, raisings with oatmeal, brown rice, yams, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and blueberries.

What are some favorite cheat meals?

My favorite “cheat” meals or type of food is definitely Italian food. That’s right, pasta! Chicken & shrimp Carbonara is one of my favorites. I also love cheesecake, ice cream with Oreo cookies, strawberries and caramel. When I get to eat ice cream, it seems an unusual combination, but this contains all the sweet flavors I love, you should try it!

Finally, talk to us about where you get your suits, how do you go about getting your color (do you tan? If so, where?). Include any shoutouts and future plans. Thanks!

When looking for the right suit, I tend to lean towards bright print bikinis; I’m not a one-solid-color bikini girl unless they are the exception. I love exotic prints like leopard and zebra patters. I imagine coming from Peru ’s tropical jungle environment has a lot do to with this. I have gotten my bikinis from Suits You Swimwear, Vizion Wear, and the most recent bikini will be from Valentina Chepiga; she is making my future national competition bikini, and it will be a surprise!!

I don’t regularly tan unless I need to. I can get very pale living in Alaska where its days become increasingly short and cold in the winter over six months a year.

I would love to thank my best friend and partner Ben kennah, who has been with me on every step of this process and always encouraging and supporting me, to my personal trainer Valentine Chepiga for constantly advising me on becoming a better athlete, my lovely friends and family who believe in me that I can do this. Special thanks to my sponsors: Anchorage Midtown Dental Center , Anchorage Athletic Club, Cor Cosmetics, and Salon Demetri. I love you all for being the best supporters ever.

My future plans are to gain additional education on personal training, fitness, and nutrition. My focus currently is of course to compete nationally this year. I’m planning to attend two national shows in July, Team universe and USA ’s. My ultimate goal is to obtain a pro card and it doesn’t stop there. If I am successful acquiring my a pro card then the next step is to continue to compete until someday, my dream of being part of the Olympia comes true. This is the ultimate goal and the way I see it is; you only live once, and you just have to set your goal and keep your eye on the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment