Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Darshaun's Path to Success

Name: Darshaun Oyston
Age: 43
Height: 5’ 3”
Contest Weight: 114
Regular Weight: 122
Hometown: Las Vegas

I began training over 20 years ago but became diligent and driven to achieve my first fitness goal of losing the weight I had gained from pregnancy; which was 70 lbs. After two (2) years, I had obtained my goal, dropped all pregnancy weight and had found a new passion; a love of fitness. I continued to train and sculpt my body into a fairly muscular state. I could work my way around any gym as well as any bodybuilding man and took pride in that fact. Over the years, I took many classes in addition to hitting the free weights and found my niche in boxing aerobics. Today my regime consists of five (5) days of weight training, two (2) hours of boxing class and four (4) hours of cardio on the rolling stairs and/or treadmill.

Last August, through the support of my best friend, I decided to train for my first bikini competition. It was then in November that I had found what I believe to be one of my callings. Once I step on stage, I become a different version of myself; someone who is strong, sexy and confident. While I have quite a large support system, it would be my best friend, Bren Grusman I would like to thank the most. If it had not been for her urging and instilling the, “yes I can” attitude in me, I never would have done that very first show. While competing in my second show, I found Team EDGE. I was honored to be accepted to be a part of such an up and coming group. Even though we are many miles apart, I feel as close to my coaches as if I lived in California. They guide me through my diet and training routine on a weekly basis and support me in all my endeavors. I am lucky to be a part of such a wise and accomplished team.

I have always eaten fairly clean but do enjoy my share of junk food. While in competition mode, however, I stay honest by journaling everything I eat and stick to the basics of a high protein, low carb, sugar and fat diet. This consists of the regular, what I like to call, bikini diet which is chicken, fish, brown rice, green vegetables, egg whites, oatmeal, rice cakes, almonds, apples and peanut butter. My diet is tweaked every week by my coaches either adding or taking away an item depending on how my body is responding.

I have several goals for 2012 that will mold my path for 2013. First and foremost, it is my goal to improve my physique each show I do and hope to become qualified for Nationals and the USA’s within the next two (2) shows I compete in. I would like to show the competition world that it’s never too late to pursue and achieve a dream. I am doing my first photo shoot of three (3) scheduled in May and am excited to see the outcome of these photos and what level I am next catapulted to from them. I am currently studying for my NASM personal training certification and am training clients in addition to myself. I would like to take that to a full time level incorporating teaching fitness classes once I have competed in several more shows as that is where my passion is right now.

Hope this is what you need but please by all means let me know if you require anything further.

Thank you so much for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment