Thursday, February 9, 2012

Holland Canter - Iron Man Naturally - Winner!

Name: Holland Canter
Age: 24
Ht: 5'3''
Contest Weight: 123
Regular Weight: 135
Hometown: Dadeville, AL

"I have been a gymnast since I was 5 years old. I stuck with it all the way through college and got the opportunity to compete at the D-1 level at the US Air Force Academy! When I graduated in May, I wanted to get into other sports and get into the best shape of my life. I started lifting with my husband this summer, and after seeing the results, I was hooked!

Currently, I am in the Air Force as a 2nd Lieutenant. I’m still trying to find the best balance between work and fitness. Many days, I work 12 hours, so it’s hard deciding when to work out and when to rest. I’m also a newly wed, so my husband and I want to spend as much time together as possible. He is in the Air Force too. We love working out together, but the our “special” time is spent on the weekend, taking adventures and being active together.

I just competed in my first Physique competiton, and while it was hard and stressful, I loved it! Before the competition, I never really followed a strict diet because I've always been so active, but when you want to cut down for a comepition, you have to diet! Since I haven't been doing this long, I'm still learning what is best for my body, and what will produce the best results. Right now, I'm eating every two hours, so I do tons of small meals. I don't have another competition for over a month. My diet consists of the following:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal
Snack: 4 boiled Egg Whites
Snack: 4 oz Chicken and 1 cup rice
Lunch: 4 Oz Chicken and 1 cup Broccoli
Snack: 4 Oz Chicken and 1 cup rice
Dinner: 6 scrambled egg whites with 1 cup Broccoli
Snack: Avacado

This is just a regular day. Sometimes I swap chicken with turkey or fish! I will also add in a Whey protein shake when I don't have time to cook.

I'd like to thank my husband for his unending love and support. Currently, he is training me in the gym. This is a new experience for both of us, and we are learning the ropes together. I would also like to thank Rick Dobbins. He helped me with diet and training through my first competition. He also introduced me to the sport when I met him this summer in Las Vegas! I also want to thank my best friend Jessica White. She was my workout partner while I was training for the Iron Man Naturally! I was away from my husband at an Air Force Assignment, and she helped me work out everyday and stay motivated! I couldn't have won my first competition with her!

I love the way working out makes me feel. Whether I'm lifting big in the gym or climbing a Colorado 14er, fitness is a way of life. I love outdoor sports like mountain biking, rock climbing, mountaineering, and hiking. Training in the gym all week helps me to excel in my weekend hobbies. I want to be better, faster, and stronger, and it takes giving 100% everyday to get there!"


First and foremost, a Big Thank You to Holland and her husband for their service to our country. I think it's a sign of a great champion, to take their work, training, and personal life so seriously. Imagine working twelve hour days, training hard, and then training some more during weekend hobbies. I have no doubt that Holland will make a huge impact in the fitness industry. Her photos are very impressive and her motivation, even more so.

Expect great things to come in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment