Saturday, February 18, 2012

Candice Perfect - On the Rise!

Name: Candice Perfect
Age: 25
Height: 5’4”
Contest Weight: 115lbs
Regular Weight: 115lbs
Hometown: Anchorage, Alaska


"I first began training in September 2011 when my friend, Jessica Fulton, made the suggestion to me. Because of my busy school and work schedule I had been inactive for a couple years and was starting to feel the effects, both physically and mentally. I didn’t realize it at the time but the lack of physical engagement was very hard on me since I had always been involved in athletics from the time I was 5 years old. I did gymnastics for 10 years and had been active in cheerleading, cross-country running, and track and field but had never lifted weights. Jessica had competed in bodybuilding shows before and was experienced in the gym so she began working with me on reaching my fitness goals. Within the first two months she helped me go from 26% body fat to 18%.

At first I started working out with the simple intention of getting back in shape, but after I saw the transformation I began considering competing in a bodybuilding show. I began doing a lot of research on everything from diet and workouts, to show preparation. I started customizing my own workouts and monitoring my diet—basically training and dieting as though I were preparing for a show. After another 2 ½ months I had gone from 18% body fat to 9%.

My workouts are always different since I get bored easily. I train legs every 4-6 days and schedule other individual body part workouts around my leg schedule. I have regular individual training days for shoulders and back where I also incorporate biceps, triceps, abs and some chest. Most of my workouts are supersets or circuits. My cardio is also varied and I do everything from Stairmaster to cycling, to inclined sprints. I try to take 2 days off every 6-8 days.

My diet consists mostly of lean protein, good fats, and lots of fruits and vegetables. I obtain most of my protein from chicken, tofu, or ahi tuna. My primary fat sources are avocado, nuts, and salmon. I don’t skimp on the fruits or vegetables since I love them and would rather work harder in the gym than feel deprived. I also eat a lot of dairy such as cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and feta and goat cheese.

I competed in my first show in January 2012 at the NPC Iron Man Magazine Naturally Bodybuilding, Figure and Bikini Championships where I took 4th place in Bikini Class A. It was such a great experience and so much fun! I plan on competing in several more shows this year, although I haven’t decided which ones yet. I would absolutely love to earn my IFBB Pro Card, and am working on obtaining my NASM Personal Training Certificate.

I would like to thank my friend Jessica Fulton for getting me involved in such a great sport and encouraging me to compete. Also, my boyfriend, Daniel, for always supporting me in everything I decide to do. Additionally, I am grateful for all the help from my bodybuilder and powerlifter friends, especially Chad and Hank. I would like to thank my sponsors for their continued support and encouragement in my bodybuilding endeavors: Sunrise Sun Spa, Alaska Bagel Restaurant, Dan Stears Photography, and Valentina Chepiga for stage presence coaching!

And I'm super excited to announce that I have joined Ingrid Romero's Team Edge out of Los Angeles! I'll be working with her to continually improve in future shows!"


Candice Perfect


Editor's Notes

What's a placing? It's nothing more than the order in which a group of judges chooses to number a pool of competitors. Placings in subjective sports can be pure and utter madness, especially with newer divisions like Bikini where the judges still aren't sure what they're looking for. Politics also play a role - no matter in what show, what organization, and/or with whomever is competing. I think placings can either be icing on the cake - or wholly irrelevant. Still, it's nice to win, place, and/or be recognized by your peers.

I don't feature anyone but champions, and Candice is just that! She's worked with the best (as her feature outlines) and she's got the determination to continue working towards her goals - no matter what. I have all the confidence in the world that she'll win shows in 2012 & beyond, but what's more important - is that I know she'll do something with her name and likeness.

Marketing is very important for a physique competitor - it's as integral as healthy eating, sound training, and proper supplementation. I always stress to everyone on this page, that to a certain extent - you have be your own publicist, webmaster, executive assistant, etc. The photographers need to know who you are, the supplement companies need to know you want work, and the clients that need your guidance (personal training, diet plans, etc) - they need to be able to find you on facebook, twitter, etc. Also, do interviews and take up offers to be featured - whether paid or not - it's exposure. You can never be talked about enough - ever!

I know that Candice is keen to the fact that her work offstage is as important as on-stage and as important as in the gym. To me, a champion involves so much more than taking home a plastic trophy.

When I think of a champion, I think of Candice Perfect.


Please show your support and "Like" us on Facebook (see above) and "Follow" us on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment